Violent Extremism in the country? How does it exist?
Perceived forms of violent extremism in the immediate areas of the respondents
1. Extremist ideologies such as harming non-conforming people are normalized.
2. More severe forms such as bombing were also reported.
1. Communities have witnessed extreme beliefs and actions to reflect this; such as: extreme interpretations of Islamic teachings and forcing them onto others, and harsh punishments for those who fail to follow these beliefs. Further, this is also upheld in some schools to the point that violent groups are reported to recruit in educational institutions.
2. The Marawi Siege, also known as the Battle of Marawi, is a recent and well-known example of violent extremism.
The siege lasted for five months in 2017 that destroyed the city center and resulted in massive internal displacement, destruction of infrastructure and communities. Delays in governmental assistance and rehabilitation have led to citizens living in temporary shelters to this day as well as negative emotion amongst their people towards government officials.
1. There has been a rise in violence in the NCR region, especially due to the war on drugs. There have been attacks, thousands even leading to death, by the Philippine National Police against violators of COVID-19 restrictions or those suspected to be drug users. Violence has also been used to disperse rallies and arrest the people present.
2. Filipinos have also witnessed reports of violence among fraternity and sorority members, rival organizations, or violence within (such as cases of hazing).
3. There have also been arrests made by the police that show citizens illegally carrying arms in the region.
1. Within the region, there were reports of cases of extrajudicial killings where young Filipinos have
been killed after being mistaken to be part of violent extremist groups.
2. On the other hand, reports show that there is an active recruitment of young people into a
known group that conducts “hold-ups” (robbery). Most members are offspring of those who were
involved in known extremist groups, thus, continuing the cycle of violence and harm within their family and community.
1. Last 2018, officials arrested three individuals who were carrying arms and were allegedly caught
before they could cause arms. Another instance would be the Zamboanga Siege in 2013.
2. Recruitment even existed in the top schools of the city as the leaders of known violent extremist groups studied there. 3. Directly or indirectly, the city being a commercial center has been affected by
activities of violent extremist groups.
How Violent Extremish Impact Youth and Communities
Due to lack of access to education and other learning methods, the youth face a
reduced number of livelihood opportunities, leaving them with limited prospects
to better their lives.
Reports said that former combatants experience disruptions in their studies due to stigma, prejudices, and generally lack of access to education itself.
The community dynamics rely on the contextual factors within the area (e.g. whether they are from rural or urban areas) or if they are communities made of indigenous peoples.
Reports said that reintegration into the community is one of the challenges that former combatants face, especially regarding their safety and security.
Those with losses due to violent extremist activities (either property losses or those who have lost family members) experience vulnerability afterwards.